SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Update on PCA Quest

• Update on PCA Quest

Posted by deann-r on January 3, 2019 at 7:32 pm

As some of you may know I’ve been short staffed and looking for a new PCA. During the last two weeks I had 7 interviews scheduled. Out of those, three were no shows and two cancelled. It’s super frustrating, but out of the two that showed I think one was really promising. I’ll be offering her the job. Fingers crossed it’ll work out. Then my next favorite part (sarcasm implied) training a new PCA. I don’t really have a question, I’m an old hat when it comes to this, but any worldly advice welcome.

kevin-schaefer replied 5 years, 3 months ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • kevin-schaefer

January 4, 2019 at 11:17 am

I can definitely relate, and it’s always frustrating to be in this situation. One minute you have a great care team and coverage seven days a week, and the next you’re scrambling to get one or two to show up. It just happens, and it’s very irritating.

One thing my Mom suggested recently since I’ve been having trouble with agencies is to call my local community college’s CNA department. I can let people there know I’m looking for part-time caregivers and see if any recent graduates are looking for work. I don’t know if this is an option for you, but it’s something I’m going to try.

• deann-r

January 4, 2019 at 5:44 pm

I have had luck in the past contacting tbe technical college. At the moment they’re on break. I have found most hires from the college are not in it for the long term. Not necessarily a bad thing, it just depends on what you’re looking for.

• kevin-schaefer

January 6, 2019 at 11:42 am

Sure, I figure most of them are looking for temporary work, but I don’t mind. As long as they’re good, any help is welcome.