SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA West Coast Fires: How is everyone?

• West Coast Fires: How is everyone?

Posted by alyssa-silva on September 16, 2020 at 11:00 am

Hey friends. Just wanted to reach out to our members and check in, especially with our west coasters. How is everyone? Is the air quality affecting your breathing?

I live on the opposite side of the country (in Rhode Island), and the smoke has actually reached us here. There’s a reddish film in the sky so thick that you can actually look at the sun without squinting. I never imagined it’d make it this far.

Please let us know if there’s anything we can do to help during these challenging times. We are always here.

deann-r replied 3 years, 7 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • nikki

September 16, 2020 at 1:32 pm

Hi Alyssa, it’s very very bad. I am staying indoors except for the occasional grocery errand and doctor appointment. I had black mucous from my nose and incessant coughing for the better part of the week. I am 10 miles from the Bobcat fire. Although it is beginning to clear up, a humidifier would have helped. There is a policy that the California Public Utilities Commission is to provide for the disabled community equipment that pertain to medical needs that could be strained during a natural disaster but sadly they have not upheld their responsibility.

Stay safe

• alyssa-silva

September 16, 2020 at 2:05 pm

Oh Nikki I’m so sorry to hear that. You stay safe as well. Please let me know if I can help in any way.

• deann-r

September 16, 2020 at 4:22 pm

Glad to hear you’re safe Nikki. I can’t imagine air quality that poor. Please keep advocating your needs to the commission. Sending hugs to Cali!