SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA What’s Everybody Reading?

• What’s Everybody Reading?

Posted by alyssa-silva on March 10, 2022 at 5:21 pm

I read 5 books while I was in the hospital which I have never accomplished in one month’s time before. Turns out, I loved it. It really helped my body relax, so now I continue to read as much as I can at home— I even sneak in a little snooze after. Helps with the healing process. What’s a book or 2 you recommend?

alyssa-silva replied 2 years, 1 month ago 4 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • micaela-macdougall

March 10, 2022 at 8:38 pm

What kind of books do you enjoy?  Nonfiction?  Memoirs?  Novels?  Classic literature?  Mystery?  Fantasy?  Sci fi?  (Just to name a few genres…)

Right now, I’m reading two books that I highly recommend, but that are fairly niche interest.  Jesus and John Wayne is fascinatingly disturbing for anyone familiar with white American evangelicalism.  And Robert Alter’s Hebrew Bible (a translation with commentary) is one I keep coming back to – Alter has an unmatched understanding of the poetics and the nuanced complexity of the biblical writers.

• anna

March 14, 2022 at 12:50 pm

The Memory Chalet by Tony Judt and the Stand by Stephen King (why not amidst a pandemic!). If you are into non-fiction, I suggest you start by Judt. He was pure brilliance and his thoughts on modern history and politics are quite edifying.

These are the ones I’m reading right now, but if you get a little more specific about your preferences, I have hundreds of little gems to recommend. Reading has saved me too on multiple occasions.

• alyssa-silva

March 14, 2022 at 3:57 pm

Thanks all! Will definitely look into these recommendations. I don’t know that I have a favorite genre but I’m definitely into mystery novels these days. Let me know if you have any good ones.

• anna

March 17, 2022 at 2:26 pm

Try the Harry Hole series by Jo Nesbo or the Wallander series by Henning Mankell. There is also a great tv adaptation of detective Wallander starring Kenneth Branagh! Between Summer’s Longing and Winter’s End by Leif Persson is a more “political” alternative.

If Nordic noir is too gloomy for you, there’s always the Latin noir. Leonardo Padura’s Havana Quartet is very intriguing!

• alyssa-silva

March 17, 2022 at 10:08 pm

Great, thank you!

• kathryn

March 19, 2022 at 6:37 am

I’ve written a mystery book called The Immortal Detective. It’s on Amazon to buy. Paperback and eBook 🙂

• alyssa-silva

March 20, 2022 at 7:25 pm

That’s so awesome Kathryn! Thanks for sharing. I’ll definitely have to check it out. ????