SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Working with SMA: Part-Time and Full-Time

• Working with SMA: Part-Time and Full-Time

Posted by kevin-schaefer on August 10, 2018 at 9:00 am

When I graduated college in December 2016, I was pretty unsure about what I’d do next. I knew I wanted to write, and I took any kind of freelance gig I could get. I also applied for tutor jobs, a couple government positions (I was desperate) and did as much networking as I could. Eventually I landed the columnist position for SMA News Today, which later turned into a full-time job here at BioNews. Now my responsibilities include managing this forum, producing podcasts, working with the social media team, working with people on other BioNews sites, developing outreach strategies and continuing to write my column. I also do creative writing and podcasting for fun. It’s a lot, but I enjoy staying busy.

Still, it can be tricky to find a balance between working and attending to your physical and mental health. I don’t want to overdo it, but I also don’t want to do so little that I go crazy (and poor). Sometimes I do push myself a little too hard, but I do prefer to be on that end instead of having nothing to do.

In college I often exerted too much of my energy. I was a full-time student and a section editor at the student newspaper, and I was involved in a Christian campus ministry. I definitely stretched myself too thin, and in my final semester I finally decided to buckle down and do well in school. I stopped working for the paper then and focused on my classes. I still recommend for college students to get involved in student life, but to be careful not to commit to too much. The same advice applies to work life. The key is to find a balance.

What do you all do for work? Do you work part-time or full-time? Are you trying to work, but don’t know where to start?

aubrie-galinis replied 5 years, 8 months ago 4 Members · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • lydia-fecteau

August 14, 2018 at 8:12 am

I work as an adjunct at two colleges. There are semesters where I teach 17 credit hours, but I do try to maintain a balance and be very aware of my body’s warning signs. It’s very difficult to find a balance between work and health. However, I do firmly believe that academics is a wonderful job for many disabled. In the four-year college I work at, I have had the privilege of developing a Disability Studies Minor and now I’m starting to put together a Disability Cultural Center.  Tomorrow I have a meeting at my community college to discuss beginning a disability studies program there. However, in the last five years, I’ve had to balance double pneumonia and definitely have learned to listen to my body says slow up.

• kevin-schaefer

August 14, 2018 at 8:59 am

That’s great that you’re implementing programs for disability studies. I hope for the best there. My alma mater has a strong disability services department, but there never were any courses about disability rights or disability history.

Yeah I did consider teaching at one point. I was concerned about the stress of managing teaching and all the other responsibilities like grading papers and doing lesson plans, but I do miss academia. Do you ever have semesters in which you only teach a couple classes? Does it help or do you prefer a full course load?

• lydia-fecteau

August 14, 2018 at 9:09 am

In the summer I only teach online and usually one course at a time. I tried to schedule my classes so that I have two days off for doctor’s appointments. Finally, I schedule my papers so that I don’t have too many do at the same time. May I be bold enough to ask, what degree do you have? Are you near NJ? I would love to have you talked to my class about personal essay writing from the perspective of disability.  We can always use Skype if you don’t live near South Jersey.

• kevin-schaefer

August 14, 2018 at 9:38 am

Gotcha. Yeah it sounds like you’ve got a good handle on things.

I have a BA in English (film concentration) from North Carolina State University. I do live in NC, but yes I’d be happy to do a Skype call in one of your classes. Thanks!

• aubrie-galinis

August 15, 2018 at 6:46 pm

I’m trying to find a freelance/part time work from home job to save money for college. I asked my local vocational center if they could help, but they said they don’t find those types of jobs. Does anyone know where to start? Has anyone else had this issue from their local vocational center?

• kevin-schaefer

August 16, 2018 at 9:54 am

Vocational Rehabilitation can be hit or miss. What kind of freelance work are you looking for? Writing, graphic design, photography?

• aubrie-galinis

August 21, 2018 at 11:44 pm

I took a beginner graphic design and photography course in high school, but 99% of those types of freelance jobs want you to have a degree and experience. I’m not really into writing because I absolutely dread it. I’ve looked into computer type jobs and again, you need experience. I’m fresh out of high school, going into college, and need something to save to pay of my loans.

• deann-r

August 22, 2018 at 7:31 am

Aubrie , my first jobs were doing entry level data entry. One was at a nursing home, the other for a neighbor’s small business.  It wasn’t something I could do from home, but the hours were flexible.

• aubrie-galinis

August 22, 2018 at 5:29 pm

DeAnn,

With school coming up it would make it very difficult to travel to a job. I don’t know what else to do. :'(