SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Dealing with the Mental and Emotional Aspects of living with SMA

• kelly-miller

February 17, 2018 at 2:28 pm

Very well written Kevin. A lot of what you said is things I’ve learned along the way also. I went to counseling when I was in college and it definitely helped me over a hump of feeling dejected about my future as an employee and spouse. I’ve since had a career and celebrate 20 years of marriage. Having these things be successful has not stopped me from having bouts of anxiety & depression. The anxiety usually comes in relation to medical issues. The depression seems to come without a reason in particular. I’ve recently started taking an antidepressant and my doctor thinks this will help me. She says that as an individual with a very severe, chronic disability, I have to face lots of situations that can cause depression. I didn’t want to take it because I always felt like I was stronger than that but I realized that we all need a little help in one form or another. There’s no shame in asking for help!

• kevin-schaefer

February 18, 2018 at 8:39 pm

Thanks for commenting Kelly! Yeah I think it’s an important topic to discuss, even though it’s difficult. For me, acquiring caregivers helped tremendously. But even when I’m doing well, I think it’s important for me to continually apply the methods that I talk about in this article. It’s easy for me to get stressed out if I’m not careful, and I have to make sure to give myself downtime and to not overwhelm myself.

Thanks again for contributing! Great discussion.