SMA News Forums Forums Assistive Technology Looking for Life Hacks

• Looking for Life Hacks

Posted by deann-r on January 7, 2021 at 7:00 am

In my opinion SMAers are some the most ingenious folks around. Knowing this I want to find out what clever hacks you have that allow you to get things done. For example I use a pair of scissors to open a pop can. I also use a spaghetti spoon to reach things & turn light off/on. At least the ones not Alexafied yet. What kind of things make life easier for you? Bonus if you have something that helps open things like a water bottle.

adam replied 2 years, 11 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • adam

April 11, 2021 at 4:53 pm

I’ve got a back scratcher that’s extendable almost 2ft. Originally purchased for it’s obvious use but I’ve found the claw scratchy bit hooks things well so I can slide a tray, plate, remote etc closer. The handle is a slightly textured rubber so I can flip it & use it to press light switches since its grippy & doesn’t just slip off the smooth switch. Once I’d laid my seat back & fell asleep, woke up & my hand had fallen off the control so was stuck unable to sit up to reach across with my “good” arm. Managed to grab my scratcher & use it to sit the seat up.

I’m with DeAnn; scissors or a flat head screwdriver for cans.

Sturdy small boxes get kept as desk level raisers. So my desk is good a good height for using a mouse on but too low to lift a drink from so a sturdy box about 5″ high is light enough for me to move as needed & when I spill stuff on it I can throw it in the recycling.