SMA News Forums Forums Awareness and Advocacy Disability in Media Disability Representation in TV’s “Lost”

• lupa-f

February 17, 2021 at 11:54 am

As someone who has only had to use a chair as I got older, I don’t have a problem with his story or feel it’s inauthentic. A wheelchair to me is a tool, it’s not part of my identity. I’d love to never have to use one again. I’ve said it before here, that I don’t think being disabled makes me who I am, it’s just something I have to deal with, and has kept me from doing things I want to do. So while it may not represent your version of disability, it does mine.

• brianna-albers

February 17, 2021 at 3:33 pm

I’m so glad you feel represented by his story! That’s great. I do think it’s important to acknowledge that everyone has a different relationship with “disability,” which is what makes “disability representation” so difficult to pin down. Our stories are so diverse that it’s impossible to capture everything that disability is to people in a single storyline. Which is why I love talking about stories and understanding how they impact people in different ways – everyone’s reaction is valid. Thanks for sharing!