• Giving Tuesday

Posted by alyssa-silva on December 2, 2019 at 8:00 am

Hey everyone! Tomorrow is Giving Tuesday, a day dedicated to international charitable giving and showcasing nonprofit organizations’ philanthropic work.

In running my own nonprofit organization, I’ve found volunteering to be beneficial for my well-being as it allows me to redirect my focus onto other people’s needs and make me feel as though my contributions are making a difference.

Do you volunteer anywhere? Is there an organization on your radar that you’ll be supporting tomorrow— whether it be a donation or general awareness?

Today my plan is to spend some time creating a campaign to launch tomorrow and hopefully receive some donations to close out 2019. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

alyssa-silva replied 4 years, 4 months ago 3 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • deann-r

December 2, 2019 at 12:46 pm

What’s your non-profit? I’m sure it’s challenging and rewarding.

I’ve always had mixed feelings regarding having a specific day to be charitable. I do like though that it brings awareness to some relatively unknown charities. Throughout the year I try to promote organizations close to my heart. For the most part that means sharing about fundraising events.

• halsey-blocher

December 2, 2019 at 9:27 pm

I know I’ve said it before, but I absolutely love volunteer work! Turnstone (it’s the center for the disabled) has a really big giving Tuesday campaign going on right now. I’ve been involved there since I was three, so it’s pretty important to me.

Looking forward to hearing about your new campaign!

• alyssa-silva

December 3, 2019 at 5:55 pm

It’s called Working On Walking, and we raise money and awareness for SMA. It is both challenging and rewarding, but the rewarding aspect far outweighs the challenges to make it worth it. 🙂

I’m kind of with ya on your thoughts regarding Giving Tuesday. Plus, I think with everyone promoting their organizations, it’s easy to get lost in the mix. BUT, it’s still a great opportunity to reach out during the season of giving. People are more inclined to give at this time of year.

• alyssa-silva

December 3, 2019 at 5:58 pm

Thanks Halsey! As I’m sure you’ve learned from volunteering at Turnstone, it’s so rewarding to be involved with something that’s bigger than yourself. It’s amazing to see what happens when people ban together to fight for a greater good.

• halsey-blocher

December 4, 2019 at 8:39 pm

It really is! There’s nothing quite like it! How rewarding it is, is actually what my next column is about.

• alyssa-silva

December 5, 2019 at 10:58 am

Oh no way! Can’t wait to read it 🙂