SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Personal Essay on Love and Longing

• Personal Essay on Love and Longing

Posted by brianna-albers on July 24, 2018 at 4:04 pm

Hi everyone! I hope you’re all well.

I recently had an essay published on love, longing, and the intersection of disability and relationships, and I thought I’d share it here. It’s a very personal piece and I was more than nervous about posting it on social media, but it’s an important topic, and one I’m trying to raise awareness for. You can read it here: http://bit.ly/redastudy.

Thanks, and enjoy!!

deann-r replied 5 years, 9 months ago 5 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • kevin-schaefer

July 25, 2018 at 12:28 pm

Great essay Brianna! I’m all for a personal essay that’s jam-packed with sci-fi references haha. Thanks for being so honest here. These aren’t easy subjects to tackle, but I think there are many people out there who can relate. Thanks for sharing.

• adnan-hafizovic

July 28, 2018 at 6:36 am

I can also say great and sincere essay.Most of of us has same problems and you are wrote it.

• brianna-albers

July 28, 2018 at 10:41 am

Thanks all! Glad you liked it.

• michael-morale

July 28, 2018 at 10:51 am

It really was a great essay Brianna, thanks for sharing it with all of us.

• deann-r

July 29, 2018 at 8:59 pm

Great essay!  Can’t speak for everyone, but I can relate.  Even though I know it’s unlikely  to happen for me (although I won’t rule it out 100%) I still watch “Say Yes to the  Dress” and have flowers picked out for my destination wedding.  Heck I even have my favorite baby names despite knowing I’m never passing down this genetic mess.  I guess as far as finding love goes I figure if it happens it happens but I’m not holding my breath.  I already know how miserable not being able to breathe is and I’d be holding my breath for quite some time.

Thanks for sharing such a personal perspective with us Brianna!