SMA News Forums Forums Treatments and Research Spinraza (nusinersen) Spinraza Labs & Being a "Hard Stick"

• Spinraza Labs & Being a "Hard Stick"

Posted by deann-r on July 9, 2018 at 10:07 pm

Today I did the routine labs before my 6th Spinraza injection scheduled for next week.  This includes a urine sample to check protein levels and a blood draw to make sure clotting rates (I think) are good.  Typically these have not been an issue for Spinraza patients from what I’ve heard, but it can be for medications like this, so they monitor it.  My levels are within normal range.

I hate getting my blood drawn.  Rarely can they find my veins on the first try.  I never know if I should tell them I’m a hard poke or if that just makes it worse.  It’s never fun feeling like Swiss cheese when you leave.  Other than hydrate and warm packs is there any other advice on making a blood draw easier? Thankfully this time, after a lot of searching, they did get it on the first try.

deann-r replied 5 years, 8 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • kevin-schaefer

July 10, 2018 at 9:48 am

Ugh yes. I have the same problem. I’m a hard vein to find too, and this part of the process is always more irritating than the actual injection. Getting the urine sample is also pretty annoying too.

I just try to drink as many liquids beforehand as I can, but it’s still tricky. If they do find it in one particular spot though, tell them to stick the needle there each time.

• alex-telenson

July 10, 2018 at 1:40 pm

I’ve given up having them take samples from my upper forearm area because of the aforementioned reasons. I now only have them take it from the top part of my fist/hand. They tie that rubber strap real tight around my wrist and smack my hand a few times and a vein almost always pops up. Maybe give that a try?

• deann-r

July 10, 2018 at 9:47 pm

We’ve have found a vein in my hand before.  Every time I tell them where they found a vein last time they can’t find it.  Go figure.  Thanks for the tip though.