SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Was school transportation an issue?

• Was school transportation an issue?

Posted by deann-r on August 26, 2023 at 9:20 am

Summer is winding down. I’m seeing school buses making their trial runs. It reminded me of riding the “short bus.”

On the one hand, I felt totally excluded. On the other, it had a nice ride, and I didn’t sit there forever while the bus made multiple stops. Since then, I think they’ve done a better job integrating lifts into larger buses. Don’t get me wrong, I made lifelong friends on that bus, but it’s nice not being excluded from our peers. Even if it is a longer bumpier ride.

What was your school transportation like? Do you have any creative transportation solutions?

alyssa-silva replied 8 months, 1 week ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • alyssa-silva

August 29, 2023 at 8:56 am

I rode the “short bus” up until 6th grade. In elementary school, I was always the first one to be picked up and the last one to be dropped off. I was on the bus for a good 45 minutes 2x a day and hated it.

When I got to 6th grade, there were a few times when the bus dropped me off and there was nobody there to get me at the school. More often than not, the bus would arrive before an aide did. So I’d sit outside by myself for a long time until someone opened the door for me. 😂 My parents weren’t happy about that since I was so young. And from that day forward, my mom drove me to school. When I got to high school, my brother or a friend would drive me too.

Did you have somebody to get you off the bus every day?