SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Parents​ ​and​ ​Caregivers​ Dear Parents, Do Things For Yourselves Too

• Dear Parents, Do Things For Yourselves Too

Posted by kevin-schaefer on February 25, 2019 at 11:10 am

To all of the parents out there:

I just want to encourage you to do things for yourselves when you can. Parents, and especially parents of people with disabilities, do so much for their families that they neglect their own needs. It often feels impossible for parents whose kids have SMA to find a night to themselves or to go out with friends.

As someone who has two loving, self-sacrificing, and hardworking parents, I know how important it is for them to have time to themselves and to spend time with their friends. Granted, it’s easier for them to do that now that I’m an adult and am more independent. Still, my Dad instinctively checks on me every time he leaves the house even when I tell him I’m fine. My Mom’s more chill and she and I understand each other’s routines, and we each go out with friends every week. I still live at home, but I have caregivers come throughout the week, and I pay for those services and rent.

Again, I get that this feels impossible when your kids are younger, and they consume all of your time. I’m sure parents of able-bodied kids feel this way. SMA adds a whole other layer of obstacles.

Still, let me just encourage you to try this. Maybe this could mean a night out with a friend, or even just a quiet morning walk by yourself. What’s something you can do for yourself this week?

kevin-schaefer replied 5 years, 2 months ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.