SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA ABLE Accounts and Tax Season

• ABLE Accounts and Tax Season

Posted by alyssa-silva on March 3, 2022 at 5:29 pm

This may be a silly question but I’m new to the world of ABLE accounts and want to make sure I’m doing everything correctly. Is there anything I have to report with the 2021 tax season? I received Form 5498-QA, and based on what I’ve read, I believe it’s for my records only. I just wanted to ask you all, the experts, first to make sure I’m understanding everything.

alyssa-silva replied 2 years, 1 month ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • micaela-macdougall

March 3, 2022 at 7:27 pm

I’ve had an ABLE account in Maryland for almost 4 years, and I’ve never reported anything from it for tax purposes.  Based on this (https://www.marylandable.org/faqs/do-i-have-to-pay-taxes-on-my-account), the only thing you’d ever have to report is if you withdrew money for something that wasn’t a qualified expense.

• alyssa-silva

March 8, 2022 at 8:32 pm

Hi Michaela! I must have missed your response somehow, I apologize for the delay in getting back to you. Thank you for this helpful info. I’ll have to research the state where I opened mine (Rhode Island), but I’d be it’s likely the same across states.