SMA News Forums Forums Assistive Technology Adaptive Clothing

• Adaptive Clothing

Posted by deann-r on September 11, 2019 at 1:24 pm

Does anyone purchase adaptive clothing?  My first order from IZ Adaptive is finally here!  Compared to Prime, shipping time is atrocious.  On a normal basis it takes them up to 3 weeks.  Due to their sale it took over 2 months!  Pants are a struggle, especially when they don’t go high enough in the back.  Here the pants are made higher in the back for sitting.  Since a sale made them affordable I’m trying them.   I’ve worn 1 pair.  So far they’re alright but I certainly wouldn’t pay full price.  Next we’ll see how durable they are.  I tend to be tough on clothing as we use the pants to help position me.  Do you have favorite clothing brands?  Styles that are easy?

halsey-blocher replied 4 years, 7 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • patrick-lenihan

September 12, 2019 at 11:05 pm

I wear IZ Adaptive’s jeans, chinos and sweat pants.  I love them but I  have had to replace the zippers on a couple of the pairs after a couple of years. I tend to purchase base layer shirts with thumb holes so that when I put on a jacket or top layer my sleeves stay down. I tend to go with whatever brand happens to be on clearance at REI, LL Bean, or Sierra Trading Post. I find henleys very easy to get on and off and wear them frequently over my base layer. The LL Bean River Driver double layer henleys are my favorites. I also like LL. Bean’s fleece lined flannels shirts.

• deann-r

September 13, 2019 at 10:00 am

Love the thumb hole shirt tip!  I struggle with layers for just that reason.

• halsey-blocher

September 13, 2019 at 9:35 pm

I’ve never heard of this brand. You’ll have to let me know what you think of the pants after awhile. My favorite brand is Maurice’s. It’s not adaptive, but still has some of the qualities of adaptive clothing. Right now they have a lot of pants made of stretchy material so it’s easier to get on, and many of their shirts are also stretchy or loose. (Flowy as my dad says.) A lot of their stuff is a rayon/spandex mix which is my favorite! It’s also good quality and reasonably priced.