SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Adults with SMA: Nathan Yates

• Adults with SMA: Nathan Yates

Posted by kevin-schaefer on May 31, 2018 at 9:00 am

[caption id="attachment_12421" align="alignnone" width="225"] Image courtesy of Nathan Yates[/caption]

One look at Nathan Yates’ Twitter feed, and it’s clear that this man is an expert when it comes to finance and investment matters. Yet while he spends plenty of time providing quality financial advice on social media, his primary occupation consists of running a business and teaching at the college level.

Yates is the Founder of Forward View Consulting, and an Adjunct Professor for Southern New Hampshire University. He also has SMA Type 2, and is open about how his disability affects his work life. The 29 year-old entrepreneur currently resides in Clintwood, Virginia, and would also like to add that he is single and available.

SMA News Today caught up with Yates to discuss his career, daily life and how individuals with disabilities can be better accommodated in the workforce.

Kevin Schaefer: To start off, what does your daily life entail? Between running your financial consulting company and teaching engagements, describe a typical workday for you.

Nathan Yates: When I get up each day, I first take my medications and receive a G-Tube feeding. (I quit eating by mouth in 2010.) I don’t live independently and rely on my amazing parents for assistance. (Cue the millennial jokes.) Then, I go to work… at home. My typical workday is split between running my business and teaching, but I’m especially focused on my faculty duties every Monday and Tuesday. I teach Economics and Finance classes but focus on the latter. Along with teaching, I serve in a faculty leadership position, so I’m in regular communication with deans, department leaders, and fellow professors. Due to my tracheostomy, I actually don’t talk each day (because speaking can create congestion). Thus, I type a lot with my on-screen keyboard! Teaching online doesn’t require lectures, which is a blessing.

My business is home-based, too. It revolves around consulting for businesses, municipal governments, and nonprofits. Specifically, Forward View offers website development, graphic design, digital marketing, and financial consulting services. I consider Forward View to have a broader mission than simply making profits (although we certainly make money). We’re ultimately a faith-based business: “Any enterprise is built by wise planning, becomes strong through common sense, and profits wonderfully by keeping abreast of the facts.” — PROVERBS 24:3 LB

KS: In terms of your background and college education, what has the process been like toward becoming a business owner? Also, how has having SMA affected that process?

NY: I honestly never intended to become an entrepreneur or an adjunct professor! My goal throughout college was to work for an investment firm, but telecommuting jobs in the investment field are rare. I had one of these rare jobs for a year; but my employer, unfortunately, went through a layoff. I also found Wall Street hours physically demanding and was hospitalized once for pure exhaustion that triggered respiratory issues. Anyway, I stumbled into consulting with a couple of test projects and loved the flexibility. Consulting is a highly scalable business. Each project is profitable, there’s limited overhead, and you don’t have to accept work that might be a health burden. As Forward View grew, I also found new team members to broaden and deepen our service offerings, including a graphic designer who also has SMA.

Perhaps it seems odd for someone with a Bachelor’s in Economics and Finance and a Master’s in Finance to run a business centered primarily around design and marketing services, but I think my educational background is perfect for entrepreneurship. First of all, I understand how to structure a business and manage it from a financial perspective. Secondly, I’ve saved a lot of money by doing my own taxes. Ha! Finally, my work still involves a lot of data analysis, and my background makes Excel my BFF!

KS: I recently read a story about a college student with SMA who had been offered a summer internship but wasn’t sure if she could take it because the money she would earn from it would interfere with her health benefits (
    https://www.app.com/story/news/local/values/2018/05/21/disabled-howell-student-nj-forces-choice-internship-health-aide/610909002/
    ). She would need caregivers in order to work, but her state wouldn’t let her do both. This is a problem for many citizens with disabilities. Has this ever affected you? What do you think needs to happen in order for our politicians to recognize us as people who want to work and contribute to society?

NY: Ugh, yes, that is a problem. I’ve never pursued the idea of being declared officially disabled because doing so would affect my ability to own a valuable business and earn a decent income. ABLE accounts can shield some assets from traditional disability program asset caps, but you can’t put a company inside of an ABLE account. The government would, oddly enough, willingly pay for me to do nothing. I need work to be happy, though, and I sacrifice all government benefits to do so. Politicians need to realize that many people with disabilities can, and would relish, the opportunity to work while still receiving some benefits. If a person wants to work, why must he or she sacrifice all support? There should be a pathway for people to contribute to society through employment as much as possible! The government currently encourages the disabled to stay home and do nothing, which is crazy. It’s no wonder that disabled folks often report being lonely, depressed, and lacking in friends/relationships.

KS: What advice do you have for other people with disabilities who want to pursue college and careers?

NY: For college, look for a school with a strong disability services department. The disability services staff at my alma mater was/is amazing. Also, online degree programs can be perfect for people with medical issues! There’s so much flexibility with distance learning. As for employment, you’ll likely need at least some work experience before pursuing entrepreneurship, but I do think that independence is key. Look for remote work opportunities with reputable employers or jobs where you at least have some flexibility with location/hours. Check out micro-internships at Parker Dewey or try freelancing, too.

To learn more about Yates and connect with him, follow him on Twitter @FVNate and visit his company’s website at http://www.forwardviewconsulting.com. 

kevin-schaefer replied 5 years, 10 months ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.