SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Any advice on making going to the dentist easier?

• Any advice on making going to the dentist easier?

Posted by deann-r on April 19, 2018 at 4:39 pm

As soon as I get the annual checkup reminder postcard in the mail I’m dreading it.  Going to the dentist.  None of the things that usually bother people about going to the dentist bother me.  What I’m apprehensive about is getting  into the dentist chair, it requires a two person lift. We do a firemans lift I think it’s called. Then getting comfortable so I don’t tip over is tricky…how many pillows you got?  After that it’s the fact my mouth only opens so wide.  Getting those x-rays done is a feat.  I’m never certain when they say no cavities it’s actually true because getting back there to fill one would be virtually impossible.  I survived, I’d like to say no worse for wear, but my arm is sore from that dang lift.  No cavities!  Everyone at the office is nice and as helpful as they can be.  Still its hard. At least I can forget about it till next year when that card arrives in the mail.  Any advice on making it easier?

deann-r replied 6 years ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • kevin-schaefer

April 19, 2018 at 5:02 pm

I totally understand your frustrations. I hate getting out of my chair for appointments, and I always have major anxiety that something bad will happen while transferring. For going to the dentist, my Mom was able to find an office that allows me to stay in my chair, but I know that that’s rare.

My best advice would be to go with a trusted aid or friend so they can help with the transfer. I just don’t trust the people in offices to do that.

• david-z

April 21, 2018 at 9:07 pm

I definitely agree with your concerns, DeAnn. One tip: the OraStretch helps significantly with opening the jaw, although its price is absurd. I stretch daily prior to the dentist visit, then immediately before the procedure.

http://www.craniorehab.com/orastretch-press-jaw-motion-rehab.html

• kevin-schaefer

April 22, 2018 at 9:30 am

Thanks for the tip David. Yeah I often have trouble stretching my jaw when I do x-rays at the dentist. I’ll keep this in mind.

• deann-r

April 22, 2018 at 8:55 pm

Interesting looking device David.  I do try stretching beforehand, but apparently not enough.  I’ll have to figure something out, already dreading next years appointment.