SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Best Places to Work for Disability Inclusion

• Best Places to Work for Disability Inclusion

Posted by brianna-albers on July 24, 2018 at 4:15 pm

On July 9, 2018, 126 companies were recognized as the best places to work for disability inclusion. These companies include Fortune 1000 corporations and Am Law 100, are leaders in 25 different business sectors, and have a global presence of more than 7.8 million employees.

The companies were chosen using the Disability Equality Index (DEI). The DEI is a joint initiative between the American Association of People with Disabilities (AAPD) and the US Business Leadership Network® (USBLN®), and allows American corporations to report on their disability policies and practices. The DEI’s range of 0 to 100 recognizes businesses with a score of 80 or higher as the best places to work for disability inclusion. The DEI measures employment, leadership, organizational culture, accessibility, and more.

The DEI is in its fourth year, and is seeing a 32% increase in company participation. This suggests that, overall, disability inclusion is on the rise.

94% of DEI companies have a senior executive who either identifies as disabled or is recognized as an ally for people with disabilities; 72% of DEI companies have expenditures with disability-owned businesses. These qualities were considered indicators of commitment to disability inclusion. Several ways to strengthen disability inclusion were identified, including digital accessibility; interview accommodations that candidates are made aware of at the start of the interview process; and an accessible smartphone app.

The list is divided into three tiers: companies that scored 100% on the DEI, companies that scored 90%, and companies that scored 80%. Among the highest rated companies are AT&T, Sprint, and Verizon; Facebook; HP and Microsoft; Walmart; and even the Walt Disney Company. To view the full list of companies, click here: https://disabilityequalityindex.org/top_companies.

michael-morale replied 5 years, 9 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • deann-r

July 27, 2018 at 9:14 am

Very interesting, thanks for the info!

• michael-morale

July 27, 2018 at 9:22 am

I worked for Exxon Mobil Corporation for many years. They were extremely helpful in making sure that all of the doorways were accessible and that I even had my own bathroom that I could go to because I needed assistance.

Most large companies have now modified their buildings and all of their access points to allow those of us that are in wheelchairs to gain full access.