SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Parents​ ​and​ ​Caregivers​ Columnist Writes About Losing a Pet

• Columnist Writes About Losing a Pet

Posted by alyssa-silva on February 5, 2020 at 10:09 am

It was hard to read through Michael Casten’s latest column without getting teary-eyed. Losing a pet is never easy— especially when they’re still so young.

Reading his column, you could really feel the love his family had for their beloved Vizsla. I’ve had dogs my entire life, and they truly are a gift. While the dogs I’ve had all had extremely different personalities, one commonality always held true: their ability to give unconditional love never failed to brighten even my darkest of days.

I’m sure having pets on top of caring for a medically fragile child wasn’t easy on my parents, but I’m so glad they made it work. Does (did) your family have pets? How have they made an impact, if at all, when it comes to life with SMA?

deann-r replied 4 years, 2 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • deann-r

February 5, 2020 at 11:51 am

When I suggested considering a pet for Christmas I got a little resistance from parents.  I didn’t mean just to do it on a whim, but if you’re already considering a pet I think it’s a great gift option.  Yes, it is an added responsibility, but kids can learn so much about life from a pet.  I feel the enjoyment a pet brings outweighs the added work.  Losing a pet is always difficult, but again going through that is part of life’s lessons.  They’ll cherish the memories of Potter.