SMA News Forums Forums Assistive Technology Do You Have a Spare Chair?

• Do You Have a Spare Chair?

Posted by deann-r on November 18, 2022 at 9:48 am

Finally, I bit the bullet and called Numotion about the tilt going out in my chair. After some back-and-forth phone calls, a remote service technician witnessed my chair deflating as I had the phone camera propped on my knee and pointed at the joystick. Of course, a major part needs replacing. Luckily, since this has been ongoing, the manufacturer will replace it under warranty.

Fast forward a month. Knowing I had to be out of my chair for a couple of hours, I had Mom come transfer me to my bed when the service guy came. As it goes these days, the guy who scheduled the service and the actual technician differed on their opinions of the extent of the job. Hashing it over with the guy doing the work, we decided that him taking the chair to the shop is the best course of action. That way he wouldn’t be doing it on his own and there’s less risk of messing up the Jaco electronics.

You would think it’s an easy decision to send something off for repair. This is my mobility we’re talking about though. Can I function without the features I’ve become accustomed to? Without the Jaco? Will they bring it back in working order? Will it take more than a day?

Thankfully my old chair is still functional. We occasionally charge it just in case. Since I store it at Mom’s house, she had to run home, unbury it (an empty seat makes great storage space), and finagle it into the minivan herself. Seems like a lot of work, but I’m grateful to at least be mobile.

Luckily my chair was only gone for the promised 24 hours. In those hours I realized how my world has been arranged for that specific chair and setup. There were a handful of things I simply couldn’t do, like feed my fish. Nothing earth-shattering but annoying nonetheless. I also remembered what I liked about the old chair. In a perfect world, I would mesh the two together.

Do you have a spare chair? What do you do when your chair is out of commission?

simone replied 1 year, 4 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • alyssa-silva

November 21, 2022 at 1:55 pm

I don’t have a spare chair. I wish I had a better answer for you but usually, I’m just stranded on the couch until it’s back. It’s not fun. ????

• simone

December 11, 2022 at 8:29 pm

Yes. I always keep my previous chair. The only time I didn’t/couldn’t was 7 years ago. I was in a car accident and the insurance company not only repaired my car but replaced my chair because they said the electronics may have been damaged in the crash. The only requirement was to give them the old one.

• deann-r

December 13, 2022 at 8:55 am

You must have good insurance. I’ve never heard of that happening. Fascinating. Hope you didn’t get injured in the crash. It would make me nervous if I had to give up a chair up like that. How long did the process take? Do you still have your old old chair for a backup then?

• simone

December 14, 2022 at 9:04 pm

No spare at that time, I had just replaced my chair which was really old and I gave it to my sister for parts since had the same model chair.  It was my now husband’s car insurance company that. bought that chair. They rushed the order and we swapped chairs after 3 months.  I had fractured my leg but didn’t want to visit the ER so I told the police officer I was fine but I probably won’t be able to walk tomorrow.  First he looked shocked then he started laughing. I guess he didn’t realize that some of us have a sense of humor.