SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Dressing Up For Medical Appointments

• Dressing Up For Medical Appointments

Posted by alyssa-silva on November 10, 2022 at 9:40 am

Last year, I decided to switch things up and wear a summer dress to an appointment at the hospital. I thought that maybe switching from my drab yoga pants and a tee outfit to something a little fancier would lift my spirits. It would give me a little more confidence on these dreaded days.

It worked, but comfort trumps fashion for me these days. So, instead, I decided to improve my wardrobe and buy more fashionable loungewear. That way, when I go to the hospital I can feel comfortable and presentable. It gives me a little extra boost. Fashion has always done that for me.

Do you incorporate fashion into appointments? Is fashion something that can affect your mood?

alyssa-silva replied 1 year, 5 months ago 3 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • deann-r

November 11, 2022 at 10:04 am

Comfort definitely is my priority. I don’t want to look like a shlub, but dressing up almost makes me more self-conscious. Even though I know I shouldn’t feel this way, I tend to think if I dress up I’m being judged. Most places know I’m on Medicare and Medicaid. If I’m wearing something higher end I feel like people think, “Oh, she can afford xyz brand because we foot the bill for her healthcare.” I’m sure they could care less, but that’s one reason I keep it basic.

Sorry, that was a bit off topic. My brain just goes there. I do agree though that when you feel put together it helps the mood. I try to find the balance between easy & comfy and somewhat fashionable. More often than not I miss the mark. Honestly I get a little jealous of folks like you who pull it off. How do you do it?

• alyssa-silva

November 11, 2022 at 6:06 pm

Aw yeah. Totally valid feeling to experience. But, honestly, screw them. The people who think your nice clothes invalidate your need for Medicaid/Medicare don’t deserve to have a say. But isn’t it sad that that’s a reality for us?

I really love Aerie. They have a lot of cute loungewear, and it’s very affordable. They definitely prioritize comfort but still have relevant fashion trends. You could also try Lululemon or Alo for higher-end stuff. They have a lot of stylish leggings and cute and cozy apparel. Athleta is great too.

• micaela-macdougall

November 13, 2022 at 6:25 pm

Alyssa, I really agree with you that “dressing up” makes me feel more motivated and confident.  I plan outfits for doctors appointments or even just for days of getting things done at home.

My goal is not to follow trends, but to look and feel like my best self.  I like this typing system: https://www.truth-is-beauty.com/blog/dress-for-your-face-not-for-your-body, and it’s great that I have a lot of “natural” in that terminology – it makes it easy to look good without sacrificing any comfort!

• alyssa-silva

November 14, 2022 at 2:56 pm

I’m going to have to look into this further! There are definitely clothes that look HORRIBLE on me because of my face shape.

• alyssa-silva

November 14, 2022 at 2:57 pm

For example… turtlenecks are a big no-no lol

• micaela-macdougall

November 14, 2022 at 8:38 pm

It’s a fun system!  If you’re interested, turtlenecks are associated with the “dramatic” style type (think Angelica Houston), so that’s an easy way to rule out which types don’t work for you.

• deann-r

November 17, 2022 at 10:56 am

Along with missing the SMN gene I’m also missing the fashion gene. It’s fun to learn though. Plus I can admire other peoples style.

• alyssa-silva

November 17, 2022 at 6:58 pm

DeAnn. ???? Although funny, I’m sure that’s not true!