SMA News Forums Forums Assistive Technology Evolving Technology Enhances Life

• Evolving Technology Enhances Life

Posted by deann-r on March 23, 2021 at 2:00 pm

My wheelchair is elevating as I have a scissors in hand to turn off the bathroom lightswitch. Why a scissors you ask? Because it’s within reach and the handle loops around the switch helping pull it down. A pasta spoon works too, but I don’t keep one of those in the bathroom. It’s not a room I have automated…yet. Still, five months ago I wouldn’t be able to do it because my old chair didn’t elevate. It got me thinking how much technology has evolved in my lifetime and I’m excited to see where it goes in the future.

As a kid my version of a playstation was playing on the dining room floor. With the wall behind me and the hutch next to me for support I sat independently. Of course it wouldn’t be any fun without my favorite toys close at hand. With my little red tape recorder and cherished stuffed bunny I would listen to Alvin and the Chipmunks for hours while bunny hopped to the music. Never very high because, you know, bunnies are modest and don’t need to show off. It had nothing to do with how high I could reach. How Santa knew the buttons on the cassette player needed to be easy to press is beyond me. Nevertheless I was grateful I could do it.

When cassette tapes faded out and CD’s replaced them it was bitter sweet. Although the sound quality was amazing and you could easily skip tracks those CD cases were miserable to open and pop out the CD. Not to mention how gingerly you had to handle them avoiding scratches. Not easy with limited dexterity. On more than one occasion the CD wound up on the floor. Thankfully digital music is here. Listening to what you want when you want undoubtedly is a big draw. However, for me it’s the fact I don’t need to fumble with anything that I love the most. I can simply tell my device to play my favorite tune. Yes, I’ve moved beyond Alvin.

How we listen to music is just one facet of technology that evolves to enhance our lives. What are some others? I’d love to reminisce with you.

alyssa-silva replied 3 years ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • alyssa-silva

March 24, 2021 at 10:13 am

The evolution of cell phones has dramatically impacted my life for the better. I do everything on my iPhone and connect it to my computer through WiFi. So, for example, I’m typing this on my iPhone but it’s coming through on my laptop. This is just one example. When I say everything, I mean EVERYTHING. I do miss the fun little flip phones we all had back in the day and how we’d type using the 9 numbers. T9 word I think it was called. I was one of the first ones in my friend group to get a cell phone just for emergencies. I thought I was so cool, ha.