SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Has Illness Shaped Your Outlook?

• Has Illness Shaped Your Outlook?

Posted by deann-r on October 28, 2022 at 9:00 am

Alyssa’s recent post on aging got me thinking about my own mortality. Having had a couple of close calls, it really can be unnerving during cold and flu season, especially when adding Covid to the mix. When I get a tickle in my throat, I get that sinking feeling: “Here we go again.” I have my routines and protocols, but it stinks that in the back of my mind I wonder if this will be the illness I can’t overcome.

Those are the reasons I’m so leery when a caregiver sounds stuffy, or when I hear someone cough. I know they probably haven’t been through what I have. For them, a sniffle is no big deal. In my case I know from my experience it can be serious. For me, it’s a hard balance between being overly cautious and still enjoying life. Not to mention I’m slightly envious that I can’t be as carefree as they are.

How has your past shaped your perception of illnesses? Has it influenced your outlook?

anna replied 1 year, 5 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • alyssa-silva

October 28, 2022 at 10:29 am

Oh for sure. I’m in the exact same boat as you, DeAnn. Pre-pandemic, I’d be out shopping and hear someone cough three aisles down, and I’d literally become a deer in headlights. In other words, I’d become on such high alert so I could avoid them at all costs. I’d look for red noses, listen for sniffles and coughs, and always be on the lookout. Of course, I do the same now and am on higher alert with Covid. Getting sick is unfortunately inevitable but I’m still going to do my best to stay healthy. The risk is just too high.

• anna

November 2, 2022 at 6:07 am

Totally!! I do all that stuff as well, plus I keep a record of the epidemiological profiles of everyone I know: How often do they get sick? What do they look or sound like when they are sick? Are their sniffles caused by allergies or do they have a cold? Of course, I don’t share this piece of information with anyone as it would creep people out, but the point is that all my life I’ve managed to be extra cautious without turning into a germophobe and I fear that Covid is now threatening my achievement!