SMA News Forums Forums Treatments and Research Spinraza (nusinersen) Has Spinraza helped with chewing and swallowing difficulties?

• Has Spinraza helped with chewing and swallowing difficulties?

Posted by kevin-schaefer on May 8, 2018 at 2:47 pm

I never really had any issues with swallowing and chewing, but I know many people with SMA do. Since starting Spinraza, I have noticed that my speech has improved and is less slurred, but I eat as normally as I did before.

For those of you who are on Spinraza and have had difficulties with chewing and swallowing, have those things improved? Can you tell a difference? I know often it takes some time to see any changes, but if you have seen anything I’d love to hear.

kevin-schaefer replied 5 years, 11 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • david-z

May 18, 2018 at 4:46 am

I’d be very interested in such experiences as well.

• deann-r

May 18, 2018 at 7:30 am

Swallowing is difficult to gauge improvement without a swallow study. Personally I have been “cheating” with regular food more often, however I doubt I’d pass a swallow study.  It’s probably more wishful thinking than any significant improvement.

• kevin-schaefer

May 18, 2018 at 10:17 am

I did a swallow study once, more to check on my speech abilities. They didn’t find anything, but the test itself was kind of a pain haha. I’m only doing that again if they make me.