SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Motivation Monday: Getting Through the Bad Days

• Motivation Monday: Getting Through the Bad Days

Posted by kevin-schaefer on July 22, 2019 at 11:00 am

Hey everyone! Hope you all had a great weekend.

For this week’s Motivation Monday, I wanted to talk about getting through bad days. If you are unfamiliar with this series, check out my introductory post here.

Ok, so we all have days that just suck. Those of us who have SMA know just how bad these bad days can be. I tend to be pretty optimistic, but I still have days when I do feel helpless and overwhelmed.

For me, I’m most vulnerable when I’m lying in bed. Having to rely on my parents and caregivers to move me even slightly is hard, and some nights are tougher than others. When something as simple as being comfortable at night turns into a hassle, I become distressed. It’s in these moments that I find myself asking the “why me?” question. I’m then more susceptible to wallowing in self-pity.

I wanted to share this article from Psychology Today. The author makes a great point about how bad days are going to happen to people no matter what. Once you accept that bad days and weeks are a natural part of the rhythm of life, then you don’t have to sink into total misery. The bad days are balanced by good ones, if you allow yourself to experience those good days.

This concept is pretty interesting to me. My faith plays a big part in how I deal with negative circumstances as well, but I do like this notion of balance that this article describes.

What are your thoughts? Do you have any particular strategies for coping with the bad days? 

Have a great week.

ryan-berhar replied 4 years, 9 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • ryan-berhar

July 22, 2019 at 6:09 pm

I definitely relate to what you said about being most vulnerable lying in bed. When I’m in my chair, I’m not entirely helpless. I have some autonomy, especially with JACO. In bed, however, that’s all entirely stripped away. Like you said, bad days happen to everyone. When I have a bad day, I try to just make it a day, and not weeks or months of being in a gutter. I’d say I’ve gotten better at this in recent years. I move on quicker. I’ve learned that crap doesn’t last forever, even when it seems like it will.