SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA New Adventures With the Help of Good Friends

• New Adventures With the Help of Good Friends

Posted by sma-news-today-moderator on April 11, 2018 at 8:05 pm

In this column, SMA News Today forums moderator and writer, Kevin Schaefer, shares an amazing experience he had, and how his friends and family help him make it all possible:

“Last week, I wrote about how living with SMA requires me to be proactive. When I want something or I desire to be more independent, I often have to develop creative solutions to overcome physical limitations and logistical issues. This applies to acquiring caregivers, getting transportation, and so many other things that most people take for granted.

“To strive for more independence, I like to try new things without the help of my parents. This weekend, I did something I had never done before. I’m 24, but this past Saturday was the first time I went swimming with just a friend and with no assistance from mom and dad.

“Now, the reason I was able to do this is that the pool I use for water therapy offers swim club hours on the weekends and on certain weekdays. Physical therapists (PTs) work during these hours to assist with transfers and to ensure that participants are safe, but they are not there for regular therapy sessions. Anyone who wants to use the pool during these times must either be in the pool by themselves or have someone accompany them.”

Read more here: “Good Friends and New Adventures

Have you tried things like this without the assistance from your caregivers? Share your experiences below. 

sma-news-today-moderator replied 6 years ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.