• Posted by deann-r on October 26, 2021 at 9:07 am

Sometimes I feel like I’m inundated with all things SMA. From nurse visits, to therapies and even the bowl of chips on the floor remind me of SMA. I refer to it as SMA overload. It can just be too much. That’s why for this post I’m switching gears. Previously I mentioned I like creating things. I need your opinions. Since my dog loves his insulated water bowl (the cats love it too,) I want to make personalized bowls for Christmas gifts for friends. You’re a creative bunch, I need ideas of what to put on the bowls. JoAnn’s had a sale, so I have 4 bowls to play with. One came with a dent and since I don’t feel like returning it, it’ll be my practice bowl. I have a Cricut Joy so can cut permanent vinyl for them (even though I’d love to try metal etching cream, but you know SMA.) For single dog families I can make the dogs name and maybe paw prints. Yes, real creative. How do I jazz them up? What are some ideas for multi-pet households? I’d love something clever but all I can think of is Woof. Maybe something about hair in the water? Or Lap Champ? I know I can probably scour Pinterest, but I’d rather get your input. Also, are their any particular favorite fonts that would make this project pop? It seems like there are such fun ones but I always default to the basics. I know we have font gurus here. Please bestow your wisdom upon me. Time to have a little fun instead of being bogged down by SMA.

What do you do when SMA gets to be too much?

deann-r replied 2 years, 4 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • alyssa-silva

October 26, 2021 at 8:07 pm

First of all, love that you’re switching gears with this post because I feel you tremendously on it. Secondly, my Cricut is my best friend ???? hmmm what about cutting H20 and making the 0 a paw print? There are so many fonts you can use! Check out dafont.com— you can download one for free to upload to your Cricut program. Because these bowls are for personal use and not being sold, you’re not breaking the terms of use with the fonts.

• blake-watson

October 27, 2021 at 5:10 pm

I think you have a perfect opportunity to use my favorite character, the ampersand. You might have seen the Beatles shirts styled like:

John&
    Paul&
    Ringo&
    George.

You could just string them around the bowl: Skip & Gadget & Molly

Just look for a font with a cool ampersand. 🙂

Yeah, “SMA overload” is a good term for that phenomenon. I tend to be a project person so I will throw myself into those. I’ll work on making sites, apps, games, or whatever is the Current Thing™.

If I’m too tired to make things and feel like consuming instead then I like to hit up Hacker News or watch some YouTube (Daily Dose of Internet, Journey to the Microcosmos, Veritasium, Vsauce, and Grand Illusions are all great distractions).

• deann-r

October 31, 2021 at 7:31 pm

Love the input! Thanks guys.