SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Tips for Doing Quality Physical Therapy

• Tips for Doing Quality Physical Therapy

Posted by kevin-schaefer on July 16, 2018 at 2:38 pm

I’ve been doing aquatic therapy for several years now. Initially I didn’t think much of it, because I really wasn’t sure what good it would do for me. Now however, I’m finding that it really helps to do it on a regular basis, especially in conjunction with my Spinraza treatments.

I just wanted to share a few tips to ensure that you have quality PT. These are not tips from a medical expert. I’m just noting the things that have helped me personally. Please seek out professional advice for when you do start physical therapy.

Consistency: One of the things that has helped me the most is going to PT on a consistent basis, and having a regular therapist I work with. I go once a week to PT, and I have two main therapists I work with. Both know my needs well, and they push me to my limits so that I can keep improving my muscle strength and flexibility. Keeping yourself on a schedule and working with the same physical therapist is key.

Communication: Once you start the physical therapy process, the thing you want to establish with your PT is communication. Make sure that your PT knows your needs and limitations from the beginning. Every patient is different, and you want to make it clear what you can and can’t do.

Pushing Yourself: When you first start physical therapy, it’s likely that your muscles will be pretty tight and that you won’t be able to move much. As you continue the process however, you want to push yourself and allow your PT to challenge you with new exercises. I’m doing significantly more exercises and stretches now than I used to, and I’m glad. You don’t want to stay on the same level just so you can stay comfortable. Test your limits and don’t be afraid to work yourself. It’s certainly a commitment for me to do it every week, but it’s well worth it.

kevin-schaefer replied 5 years, 9 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • ryan-berhar-2

July 16, 2018 at 3:57 pm

Great tips! I have been doing pool therapy off and on for probably about 15 years. Overall, I have have had solid experiences, but the most recent one a year ago didn’t go so well. Lack of effective communication was a problem. This particular PT didn’t really want to listen.

• kevin-schaefer

July 16, 2018 at 4:05 pm

Yeah it’s important to find the right one. Hopefully the next time you do it it will go smoother.

• deann-r

July 17, 2018 at 10:23 am

Great points Kevin!  Another tip may be to not get discouraged.  With SMA it can be challenging to keep it going when you see little or no improvements, but it’s important to stay positive and like you said keep pushing.

• kevin-schaefer

July 17, 2018 at 10:34 am

Great point. Yeah I definitely feel like I didn’t see much improvement in the first few months of doing PT as an adult. It felt good to get in the water of course, but I wasn’t really seeing any change in regards to my muscle strength or anything. Now however I’m noticing more flexibility and that I’m able to do more exercises. It takes time, but yeah definitely don’t give up just because the results aren’t instantaneous.