SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Trailer for “The Upside”

• deann-r

October 18, 2018 at 12:22 pm

Just watched the trailer, I thought it actually looked pretty good. You have a point though, most people with disabilities aren’t billionaires so that right there makes it unrealistic.  Let’s face it, most caregivers are no Kevin Heart either.  It does annoy me that they have to have an able bodied actor play the part. Do you think they do it for face recognition?  If that’s the case there aren’t many options.  When I Googled “paralyzed actor” Christopher Reeves was who came up and he passed several years ago.  <span class=”st”>Daryl Mitchell</span> also was listed.  He’s the one who plays in Fear the Walking Dead.

Not sure if I’ll be racing to the theater, but I’ll watch it.  I love picking apart movies.  At least it’s a comedy.

• kevin-schaefer

October 18, 2018 at 12:36 pm

True. I mean on the one hand any movie about a disabled character helps stimulate discussion. But like you said I’d rather see characters like us on screen. This movie’s actually a remake of a foreign film.

And I think face recognition is probably the defense producers use, but there are other disabled actors out there. They just don’t get the chance for roles like this too often.