SMA News Forums Forums SMA News Today Multimedia SMA News Today’s YouTube Using Motion Sensors to Automate My Home

• eric-ovelgone

February 8, 2022 at 9:25 am

I use both Alexa and Alexa motion sensors with smart lights and smart outlets.  I have been switching to this from x10 which i used for years. I love Alexa for automation.  The great thing with Alexa is you can activate by voice and can use Alexa as a phone or intercom as well.  There are tons of devices that use Alexa and they are reasonably cheap.  Now for the bad part.  Setting up devices can be easy or virtually impossible depending on who makes the device, how many devices you have and distance from router.  While Alexa connects to the various devices, you generally need to install not only an Alexa app on your phone but generally a different app for every different brand of device you buy.  If can afford it, stick to one brand…but you will miss out on sales for cheaper identicle devices.  Smart bulbs tend to be much more difficult to setup then plugs, and if your wifi goes down, you loose the ability to turn on or off the light which was not an issue with x10.  Motion sensors can be nice or annoying depending on location.  Remember, every time pass the motion sensor it will activate.  We have one in garage to announce a visitor which is great…unless someone is working in garage in which case it keeps announcing every two seconds that someone has entered the garage.  You can delay how often it goes off, but can also mean it wont turn on when want it to.  Lastly, i now have to remember what i named every light.  I find myself yelling at Alexa to turn on the !@#$% light because i forgot what name i called it.

• deann-r

February 8, 2022 at 8:08 pm

Eric, your comment couldn’t be more timely. I just switched internet companies and switching devices to the new network has been a nightmare. For the life of me I can’t get both smart bulbs in my office to connect. I can get one or the other but not both.
      Frustrating. Other brands were much easier. Plus like you said remembering which devices use which app can be tough. Naming has also become a challenge. I started naming them after TV characters.

Before the motion sensors I didn’t realize how much I did in the dark. Now I debate if I really need to go into the kitchen as to not trigger it.

• alyssa-silva

February 15, 2022 at 11:17 am

I have always been interested in incorporating motion sensors into my home automation. This is awesome. I saw some cool YouTube videos where you can create IFTTT statements under routines to pair with your motion sensors. So, for example, you could set something up where your motion sensor detects you entering a room and your automatic blinds open. Really cool stuff with endless possibilities.