SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA What’s Your Care Routine?

• What’s Your Care Routine?

Posted by deann-r on December 9, 2022 at 9:06 am

My care routine is minimal, but it still takes a toll. By the time I’m up, showered, dressed, and situated I really don’t have the energy or patience for hair and makeup. I manage to brush my teeth and apply moisturizer because otherwise my skin rebels. That’s the extent of my routine.

Sometimes I see others in the SMA community looking glam, but I just can’t pull it off. Plus, I’m not the greatest instructor so having someone do it for me is just as daunting. If you’ve seen any of my videos, you know my style. A hoodie, straight hair tucked behind my ears, and maybe some lip gloss, so I don’t look like death warmed over with my pasty winter skin. A simple routine may not get the look I want but it allows me to get on with my day.

What’s your routine? Do you put in the extra effort or keep it simple? If you have any tips or shortcuts, I’d love to hear them!

micaela-macdougall replied 1 year, 4 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • micaela-macdougall

December 9, 2022 at 6:06 pm

I feel you, DeAnn, I do not have much energy for a long style routine.  Besides getting dressed and brushing my teeth, I have a 10 minute routine of washing my face, putting clips in my hair to keep it out of my face, and putting on eyeliner and earrings.  These little things make me feel like I look good and make me more motivated.  It definitely helps that my mom is still my caregiver – she knows exactly how to do my eyeliner and hair without needing a lot of instructions.  And I don’t shower every day, it’s too much of a hassle.