SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Xbox Announces Adaptive Controller for Gamers with Disabilities

• Xbox Announces Adaptive Controller for Gamers with Disabilities

Posted by sma-news-today-moderator on May 18, 2018 at 8:02 am

For people with severe physical disabilities, playing video games can be a challenge. Operating a gaming console requires a certain level of motor neuron skills and basic arm-strength, both of which are abilities that many SMA individuals simply lack.

Now, however, this sector of the gaming community may finally have a solution. Xbox just unveiled a new controller designed to meet the needs of gamers with disabilities.

Named the Xbox Adaptive Controller, Head of Xbox Phil Spencer stated that this device has been in the works for years.

“For gamers with limited mobility, finding controller solutions to fit their individual needs has been challenging,” said Spencer on Xbox Wire. “The solutions that exist today are often expensive, hard to find, or require significant technical skill to create. A number of individuals and organizations are creating custom solutions, but it has been often difficult for them to scale when most rigs need to be so personalized.”

“Joining the Xbox family of controllers and devices, the Xbox Adaptive Controller was created to address these challenges and remove barriers to gaming by being adaptable to more gamers’ needs.”

To ensure the effectiveness of this particular controller, Xbox partnered with organizations such as AbleGamers, SpecialEffect, The Cerebral Palsy Foundation, Craig Hospital, and Warfighter Engaged all throughout the development process.

The Xbox Adaptive Controller will be available later this year for USD$99.99 (pricing for other territories is yet-to-be-confirmed). Read more about this device here: “Accessible Gaming with the Xbox Adaptive Controller

For any gamers out there, what do you all think? What features would you like to see on this controller? What can other gaming communities do to make their products more inclusive for players with disabilities?

michael-morale replied 5 years, 11 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • ryan-berhar-2

May 18, 2018 at 1:10 pm

This is so awesome! I have loved video games since I was a little kid, but it’s becoming increasingly difficult due to loss of hand strength. I hope this works for me!

• michael-morale

May 19, 2018 at 8:21 am

When I was growing up in the 70’s and the 80’s, my first taste of video games was Pong. While this game was nothing more than a glorified video game of tennis, it fascinated everyone because it was our first glimpse into technology. My arms and hand strength were quite normal whenever I was younger, so I had no problems using the Atari game controls, and even some of the other controllers of the video consoles that followed. Now that the strength in my hands and arms have decreased, I can see the advantages of an adaptive game controller. While I’m not much of a gamer, if these new adaptive controllers will work for me, it may be something that I will look into.