SMA News Forums Forums Life Advice and Transitions College Students Reflecting on my Days at my College Newspaper

• Reflecting on my Days at my College Newspaper

Posted by kevin-schaefer on February 13, 2020 at 7:00 am

Hey everyone, hope you’re all having a great week!

Check out my latest column here. When I was in college, I was active at my university’s student newspaper. It was a great outlet for me, and it ultimately paved the way for my career now. About a week and a half ago, I attended the paper’s 100th anniversary celebration. This is one of my more sentimental columns, but I hope you all can take something from it.

For those of you who are in college or have been, do/did you participate in any extracurriculars? Even if you’re not in college, do you have any creative outlets?

rocco replied 2 years, 9 months ago 5 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • alyssa-silva

February 13, 2020 at 9:26 am

I’ve been out of college for 7 years, and I’m still kicking myself for not joining my school’s newspaper. My literary professor was the director of it and begged me to join because she loved my writing style. (She’s the reason I write today. I always thought I was terrible at it, but her words lingered in the back of my mind.) Anyway, I thought she was just being nice to the only student on campus in a wheelchair and felt bad I wasn’t more involved. Yeah… 😳

My final year, a friend of mine started an organization called Her Campus, an online magazine for college women. HC is a national org where colleges could start their own chapters. Trying to be a good friend, I offered to help out and write articles even though I HATED to write. But it was there I discovered I was VERY wrong haha. Maybe my literary professor saw something in me that I couldn’t. And as you said in your column… the rest was history.

That year, our campus chapter became one of the top chapters in the country, and it was so cool to be a part of that accomplishment.

• natasha

February 15, 2020 at 9:14 am
  • patrick-lenihan

March 2, 2020 at 11:01 pm

I was a DJ at my University’s radio station. I wrote and performed stand up comedy for 20 years. I still write material but I haven’t performed in many years. I used to shoot black and white photos and later hand color the black and white prints. Over the last ten years my primary creative outlet has been playing harmonica.

• rocco

July 16, 2021 at 8:14 am

Really a great article! Reflects reality. I also love writing on my daily life (a kind of informative essays – https://writinguniverse.com/essay-types/informative-essays/ ). I always hope that someone read and find it helpful. Thank you:)