SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Most Accessible Vacation Spots

• Most Accessible Vacation Spots

Posted by alyssa-silva on March 5, 2020 at 11:00 am

March is always a challenging month for me. For starters, it’s still freezing in New England despite what the coming of spring suggests. Second, I’m completely over worrying about cold and flu season. Lastly, it just seems to drag on forever.

So while I begin to daydream about summer and possible vacation plans, I’d love to know:

Besides Disney, where are some places you’ve traveled to that were so accessible it made your trip that much more enjoyable?

Let’s start a travel bucket list. I’ll go first!

1. Fort Lauderdale, FL. Most establishments were handicapped accessible and if you needed a taxi, they were ALWAYS there within 5 minutes. Truly a luxury.
    alyssa-silva replied 4 years, 1 month ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • patrick-lenihan

March 5, 2020 at 3:08 pm

Las Vegas is one of the most accessible cities I have been to. It is not really my type of city but there is a lot to do there and I can see why people like going there. I love Victoria B.C. . It has the feel of an old European city but accessibility is quite good. Curb cuts are plentiful. The public transit is accessible and there are many accessible lodging options within walking/rolling distance of most of the restaurants, cultural activities and sites the city has to offer. I also love Vancouver B.C. It is like NYC but surrounded by gorgeous snow capped mountains and with more accessible public transit. Sky Train is awesome. My favorite vacation was a week I spent on a tour with Sea Wolf Adventures in Glacier Bay Alaska on a boat called the Sea Wolf. The Sea Wolf is a former WW2 mine sweeper that has been retrofitted to be more accessible. She accomodates 12 passengers and 5 crew members. They put a Hoyer lift sling on the davits to get disabled passengers into a sea kayak. The deck and public areas of the boat (the state room and fan tail) are wheelchair accessible. Two of the cabins although not ADA accessible are what I consider workable for many wheelchair users. The experience was so amazing.

• halsey-blocher

March 5, 2020 at 9:29 pm

For accessible trips, I highly recommend Virginia Beach! The city really prides itself on being an accessible destination, and it shows! My favorite part is the boardwalk. It’s a 3 mile concrete boardwalk that spans the length of the beach, and there are smaller wooden boardwalks that branch out onto the sand. You can also rent free beach wheelchairs that will be brought to your hotel. For kids, there’s a wheelchair accessible beach playground. Almost all of the hotels, restaurants, entertainment are accessible. We always drive so I’m not sure what transportation is like, but most things are in walking distance. If you’re into music, there are usually several stages with live concerts on the beach every night which is pretty cool. And one thing that I personally love is that there are smoothie shops on every block. I can’t swallow thinner liquids so I mostly drink smoothies or other frozen drinks, so it’s great to have such easy access to them!

• alyssa-silva

March 6, 2020 at 4:15 pm

Currently getting a serious case of wanderlust and starting a bucket list STAT. Thanks for sharing!