SMA News Forums Forums Treatments and Research COVID-19 and SMA What risks are you taking?

• What risks are you taking?

Posted by deann-r on November 3, 2020 at 11:00 am

Needless to say hibernation is getting old. In fact I can probably count on one hand the places I’ve been since March. Last week I attended a webinar through Cure SMA regarding the virus. They praised the SMA community on their isolation tactics because the number of cases for those of us with SMA is still relatively low. Although I plan to continue hibernation, I do struggle with what risks to take. What are the determining factors for you? Honestly I feel like if you want to do something badly enough you can justify in your mind how it’s safe, but everything carries a risk. Sometimes I feel like even those in my inner circle don’t take it as seriously as I do. Therefore my risk inevitably goes up. It also makes me think if they’re not concerned why I should care so much. However, my previous experience with respiratory distress overrides that thought pretty quickly. So, even though I want to go into Cub to see if the smoked string cheese is really out of stock, I’ll settle for the replacement they offered for pick up. Even though I want to browse the current fabric at JoAnn’s to make accessories for my new wheelchair, I’m settling with what I have on hand. Even though we have a tradition of going to the movies on Christmas Eve, we may settle on streaming something. I just don’t feel for me it’s worth the risk. What risks do you take? What do you feel is too risky?

alyssa-silva replied 3 years, 5 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • alyssa-silva

November 3, 2020 at 12:48 pm

I think I am also taking risks extra seriously.  I am more comfortable doing things outside but now that the winter is coming I am back to being indoors. Over the summer, I had several visitors and also went to the beach a few times. But that was pretty much the extent of my socialization. I miss coffee shops. And target.

I am also bumming out right now with the holiday season upon us and I can’t do anything fun to celebrate. That being said, I don’t think the risk of going out is worth it to me. I woke up not feeling well this morning, and even though it wasn’t Corona, all I could think of was “Oh God imagine what it would be like if I actually had this virus”

So as hard as this is I know what I’m doing is best for me.