SMA News Forums Forums Our Community 31 Days of SMA 2021 31 Days of SMA: Learning to Advocate for Myself as a Teen with SMA

• 31 Days of SMA: Learning to Advocate for Myself as a Teen with SMA

Posted by deann-r on August 29, 2021 at 6:27 pm

Gosh, Autumn’s story brought me back to the good ol’ days of high school. I wish I had half the ambition and insight she does at such a young age. Knowing lunch tables could be accessible didn’t even cross my mind. Learning to advocate for yourself is so important and the fact she’s done that and wants to enrich others lives by continuing her advocacy work as she heads to college is pretty cool. Have you had to advocate for your needs in school?

alyssa-silva replied 2 years, 7 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • alyssa-silva

September 3, 2021 at 9:31 am

Oh man, I wish I had known accessible tables existed when I was in high school. My parents and I had to advocate for every little thing during my entire school career. In elementary school, the cafeteria wasn’t even wheelchair accessible (had to take the stairs to get there), and the only way I could get there was by going OUTSIDE, down the hill, and into the side doors. In the winter, that just wasn’t ideal so I’d eat in the classroom with some friends. That’s just one of many examples. I honestly was one of the few wheelchair users to go through that school system so there was a lot of advocacy work that had to be done.