SMA News Forums Forums Treatments and Research COVID-19 and SMA Awaiting Test Results

• Awaiting Test Results

Posted by deann-r on November 20, 2020 at 11:21 am

As I mentioned earlier this week one of my caregivers has been exposed. Not only by someone at her other job, but her mother also tested positive. My plan was to have my other caregivers fill in while she got tested. Of course plans changed Monday when I woke up with a slight sore throat. It went away, so I didn’t think much of it. Tuesday however I developed a fever. I’ve also had sinus drainage that leads to a little cough but it tends to subside once I’m up for a while. After talking with my nurse and having a televisit with a doc they recommended I get tested. So, Wednesday I got swabbed. Of course I have to quarantine while I wait for results. Easy if I didn’t rely on caregivers. My main PCA prefers not to work while I await the results. Therefore I’m quarantining at Mom’s house for the time being. Thankfully I’m feeling fine. So far Mom is too. Still awaiting results. I’ll keep you posted. How is everyone doing? Avoiding illness? What’s your plan if you get exposed?

alyssa-silva replied 3 years, 5 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • robert-stump

November 20, 2020 at 3:30 pm

Wow, I hope you are negative and that you and your mom remain safe and well.  It seems like it is everywhere now and I have had several scares with my providers.  My main aide was definitely exposed a few weeks back because both her sister and her 2 nephews tested positive, and she was around them constantly without taking any precautions with them.  The timing worked out perfectly for me, however because she was already scheduled off for 6 days due to a planned trip with her family to Florida (which was canceled because of all this).  She got tested twice, both times negative, and came back to work and we’ve been good since.  That has been the closest call I have had so far, but I’m really worried about these next few weeks.  Unfortunately, I don’t really have a good game plan because my parents can’t physically take care of me anymore and I am so short on help as it is.

• alyssa-silva

November 20, 2020 at 4:43 pm

Ugh I don’t think there is an easy solution for any of us right now. I hope you continue to improve, DeAnn. And I hope everyone here stays healthy! Thinking of you all.