SMA News Forums Forums SMA News Today Multimedia SMA News Today’s YouTube Can You Have a Job When You’re Disabled?

• greg-sealey

October 28, 2020 at 7:38 am

Yes, you absolutely can have a full and meaningful career while living with a Disability.<span class=”Apple-converted-space”>  </span>The first key step is to have a strong desire to do so.<span class=”Apple-converted-space”>  </span>Sure, there are more hurdles to cross than most others have to deal with.<span class=”Apple-converted-space”>  </span>I was fortunate to be able to be mainstreamed most of my grade school years.<span class=”Apple-converted-space”>  </span>This exposed me to the world and lit a desire in me to participate as much as possible in that new world.<span class=”Apple-converted-space”>  </span>I am now retired, but worked my whole career in the IT industry after getting my degree in Information Systems Technology.<span class=”Apple-converted-space”>  </span>The first half of my career was spent in a few small companies as a software engineer.<span class=”Apple-converted-space”>  </span>Then I began working for Home Depot in their IT Department.<span class=”Apple-converted-space”>  </span>I started as a Software Engineer there as well.<span class=”Apple-converted-space”>  </span>While working there I also worked on my Masters Degree in IT Management.<span class=”Apple-converted-space”>  </span>This helped me grow my career into management where I served in the roll as Senior Manager over a group of 30 people responsible for many multi-million dollar projects.<span class=”Apple-converted-space”> </span>

I have found most companies are willing to make accommodations for you in order for you to succeed. This is especially true for Home Depot.<span class=”Apple-converted-space”>  </span>Co-workers are also willing to help whenever needed. <span class=”Apple-converted-space”> </span>