SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Columnist Writes About Life As a 20-Something

• blake-watson

October 19, 2021 at 11:10 pm

Every day, I watch from the sidelines as people go about their lives. Meanwhile, I surf the internet. I write my book. I schedule appointments and wonder, idly, if my headaches are symptomatic of something else.

I totally feel this. I’m working full-time from home (I’m supposed to be working right now lol) but I still feel like this often. I just work day in and day out, handle all of the SMA stuff, and use what little energy I have left to throw into my personal projects. I wonder how long this can go on. I wonder what I will do in the future. I wonder how I will ever be able to date if I never leave my house. I call it the “tangible world.” It’s right there all around us but for those of us with SMA it somehow seems to get further and further away.

• alyssa-silva

October 20, 2021 at 9:11 am

This resonates with me so, so much right now.

• blake-watson

October 20, 2021 at 10:09 am

Yeah in the latest podcast when you were talking about (for lack of a better term) getting your mind and body on the same page, I could tell you were dealing with the same problems I (we all?) have. There’s so much we want to do but our bodies don’t always have the energy or robustness to get it done. We have to get into a manageable rhythm.

I really like the saying, “slow and steady wins the race.” ????

• brianna-albers

November 17, 2021 at 2:44 pm

Slow and steady wins the race!! Yes. Better to be healthy and slow than sick and fast, right?