SMA News Forums Forums Our Community 31 Days of SMA 2021 31 Days of SMA 2022 Day 12 of #31DaysofSMA: How SMA Made Me Into a Scientist

• Day 12 of #31DaysofSMA: How SMA Made Me Into a Scientist

Posted by jessie-madrigal-fletcher on August 15, 2022 at 5:26 pm

Ben Lou is a mathematician, physicist, and philosopher studying at MIT. He also has SMA type 2.

Ben is passionate about STEM (science, technology, engineering, and mathematics), and this passion has encouraged him to chase every single one of his aspirations.

“There is a great underrepresentation of disabled people in STEM, which is a pity. Despite having never taken a single step on this earth, I can soar across the exotic, awe-inspiring world of STEM. And to my fellow young people with SMA: so can you.”

Ben your passion for all things STEM is so inspiring!

Now back to our SMA community, what is one passion you just can’t quit?

Click here to read the rest of Ben’s story and learn more about his scientific career.

SMA News Today’s 31 Days of SMA campaign will publish one story per day for SMA Awareness Month in August. Follow us on Facebook and Instagram for more stories like this, using the hashtag #31DaysofSMA, or read the full series.

alyssa-silva replied 1 year, 7 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • alyssa-silva

August 17, 2022 at 2:49 pm

So awesome,  Ben. I actually have a friend who’s writing her dissertation on STEM and the lack of inclusion for disabled people. When it comes to passion like Ben’s, I would say mine is drawing. Nothing like a good drawing sesh to soothe my soul.