SMA News Forums Forums Our Community 31 Days of SMA 2021 31 Days of SMA 2022 Day 8 of #31DaysofSMA: On Being a Wife, Mom, and Caregiver for My Spouse

• Day 8 of #31DaysofSMA: On Being a Wife, Mom, and Caregiver for My Spouse

Posted by kevin-schaefer on August 9, 2022 at 9:55 am

Brittany Bingman knew she wanted to get married and raise a family from a young age. She dreamed of the kind of person she would marry and the life she would have.

While she did marry the man of her dreams, she took on an additional role that she didn’t envision. Brittany’s husband, Steve, has SMA, and she is his primary caregiver. She and Steve also became parents through adoption.

Though being a spouse and caregiver adds a unique dynamic to her marriage, Brittany emphasizes that she and Steve have a thriving relationship. They go on dates, travel, and experience parenting together.

Here’s an excerpt, “People have asked me how I can be my husband’s caregiver and still keep the romance alive. The answer is quite easy. During times when I help him, we have conversations, and he always cracks jokes to make me laugh. Romance comes in all kinds of ways, so instead of making caregiving a chore, we take advantage of the extra time spent together by making it fun.”

Click here to read Brittany’s full story.

If you’re a spouse and/or caregiver, can you relate to Brittany’s story?

SMA News Today’s 31 Days of SMA campaign will publish one story per day for SMA Awareness Month in August. Follow us on Facebook and Instagram for more stories like this, using the hashtag #31DaysofSMA, or read the full series.

alyssa-silva replied 1 year, 8 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • alyssa-silva

August 10, 2022 at 7:09 pm

More stories like this, please! It gives us single SMA folk hope!