• Do you own an RV?

Posted by alyssa-silva on January 22, 2024 at 10:57 am

I recently read Brianna’s column about her unpredictable start to the new year. In it, she talks about how her family purchased an accessible RV. It is my dream to own one of these someday. I think it’d be such a cool way to see the country. 

Do you own an RV? Even if you don’t, have you ever done a long road trip before? 

I just can’t see how it’d be conducive in a car with all my machines. We can barely pack the van as it is not.

alyssa-silva replied 2 months ago 3 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • deann-r

January 26, 2024 at 6:26 pm

Heck no! Definitely not enough space. Sounds great in theory.

• susana-m

February 21, 2024 at 6:52 pm

That’s one of our bucket list dreams: to have an accessible RV. It’s got to be easier to have that all set up than figuring out hotels and making do with what’s available. We found a few options in the Midwest, but not here in South Florida. Then again, the average person’s idea of handicap accessible is very different than ours.

• alyssa-silva

February 23, 2024 at 10:15 am

Very true. Do you live on the west or east coast of South Florida? I found there to be a stark difference between the two coasts in terms of accessibility when I vacationed there.

• susana-m

February 26, 2024 at 4:40 pm

I’m on the East Coast, it might as well be a different state than the West Coast. I don’t know about the access there, but here in Miami we have 2 big medical centers, thriving sports medicine community, the Miami Project, 2 trauma units and a growing geriatric population so access is a thing here.

I mean, there’s still problems with older buildings and people just being self involved people, but there’s more awareness. The amount of diversity that we have here makes it less unusual to ask about access.

But if anyone wants to check out Miami at some point, let me know I’ll give you all the tips. It’s pretty easy to rent a wheelchair accessible van could get a temporary pass for county transportation STS

• alyssa-silva

February 27, 2024 at 9:25 am

Transportation-wise, the East Coast was incomparably more accessible than the West Coast when I went. I visited Fort Lauderdale and had a wheelchair-accessible taxi within five minutes anytime I wanted to leave my resort. I was also able to rent an electric beach wheelchair in Miami, which was a first for me.

Then, I visited St. Pete Beach on the West Coast, and transportation was a nightmare. I was stranded at a restaurant once for hours. I finally got back to my hotel via a transport ambulance. I’m pretty sure our driver had a little too much to drink that night, too. The whole ordeal was a disaster. I wonder what other locations are like on that side of Florida.