SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Don't count me out!

• Don't count me out!

Posted by deann-r on November 24, 2018 at 4:46 pm

Over Thanksgiving we played a few games with my nieces.  One was the never ending Crazy Eights card game (note: adding the jokers as wild cards was a bad idea.) Another that they started without me was called Slapzi.  When I asked why I wasn’t dealt in I got, “You wouldn’t be able to play this one.”  Of course that makes me more determined, so I had them pass me some cards. The premise of the game is to slap down the card that matched what the caller asked for the fastest.  Obviously that wasn’t going to happen, but my sister came up with the great idea that if the caller heard me call out my card first it would count.  Shocking to them I won the first game.  I guess my point is, don’t let people count you out because they think you can’t do it.  Come up with creative ways to be included.  Do you have a favorite game to play?  What types of modifications have you made to be included?

deann-r replied 5 years, 5 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • kevin-schaefer

November 24, 2018 at 9:37 pm

Agreed. There’s always a way to include us in things like this. This applies to conversations around the holidays as well. I want to be asked about the same topics as my able-bodied relatives, like work, dating, etc. This Thanksgiving was good. I talked a lot about my work, and I appreciate being asked those questions.

• ryan-berhar-2

November 24, 2018 at 10:05 pm

One thing that comes to mind is occasionally I play Boggle, and I write the words in my phone rather than on paper.

• deann-r

November 25, 2018 at 9:34 am

That’s a good idea Ryan!