SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Don't forgo the sunscreen!

• Don't forgo the sunscreen!

Posted by deann-r on May 22, 2018 at 10:23 am

If the sun is shining you’ll probably find me outside during the summer months.  Because it’s gotten increasingly difficult to apply sunscreen myself I typically have my PCA’s do it while they’re here.  Of course I didn’t do it the other day because it was supposed to be cool and cloudy, but ended up sunny and gorgeous.  Luckily my daily moisturizer that I put on my face has SPF included.  My neck and chest didn’t fare so well.  A blistering sunburn was the result.  Don’t forgo the sunscreen!  Lesson learned, at least till next year.  Do you guys have a favorite sunscreen or method of application that makes it easier?

kevin-schaefer replied 5 years, 11 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • kevin-schaefer

May 22, 2018 at 10:51 am

I’m definitely more apt to getting sunburn, and I often forget to put on sunscreen. Thanks for the reminder! I’ll definitely need it in a few weeks when I go to Dallas for the SMA conference.

I usually just have my parents put sunscreen on for me. The big areas I need to cover are my arms and face; and while I’m not the most outdoor-sy person I do go on walks with my dog and to events downtown during the summer. I forget what type of sunscreen I use, but it definitely works.

Also this is a good segway to talk about things to do over the summer for people with SMA. I’ll do a separate post about that.