SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Food Delivery Subscriptions?

• Food Delivery Subscriptions?

Posted by alyssa-silva on July 21, 2021 at 10:50 am

Right now, I’m struggling to find caregivers and have been relying more on my parents for my needs. They’re getting older, so I try not to ask for more than what I need, which is already a lot. I wouldn’t say I’m high maintenance per se, but like… I do require a lot of maintenance. ????

I’ve been looking into food delivery options that could give my mom one less thing to do. We can’t do Doordash or UberEats because our house isn’t on their GPS systems (weird, long story), so I was thinking more in terms of subscription services.

Have you tried any? I just signed up for Evive which is a smoothie delivery subscription. So far so good. I try to drink a smoothie every day and having them pre-made and portioned is great. The smoothie cubes just melt into your liquid of choice, and it’s ready to go. No blender necessary.

Curious to hear if you’ve tried any others, though!

alyssa-silva replied 5 months ago 4 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • christina

July 22, 2021 at 5:45 pm

I’m on Medicaid and Medicare and they offer a few food programs.    I’m not sure if It’s different in all States.  I tried Meals on Wheels a long long time ago, wasn’t really for me (with Covid, not sure if this is still offered),  I tried “Mom’s Meals” for quite awhile.  I liked them and they offer a wide variety of food.  I recently found out they cover shakes like Boost but I haven’t tried that yet.  These programs are different then low income programs, which I don’t qualify for even though my only income is SSDI.  Good luck.

• deann-r

July 23, 2021 at 9:14 am

For Mom’s birthday a couple years ago I gave her 3 months of Hello Fresh. It was kind of fun. You got to pick the meals from a selection and could do add ons if you wanted. It would come once a week if I recall. They came with the recipe and all the main ingredients so all we had to do was throw it together. She thought it was pretty convenient. I think they have fully prepared meals now too that you only need to heat up.

Otherwise, in college I lived on Schwans. I had a delivery guy who was a master at fitting my order in the freezer.

• EltonTipa

November 21, 2023 at 2:23 am

I have been using HelloFresh for some years. A short description: “While not fully pre-made, HelloFresh delivers meal kits with
    pre-portioned ingredients and easy-to-follow recipes. It’s a good option
    for those who enjoy cooking but want the convenience of having
    everything delivered.”

They used to have on their menu sweet potato casserole with veggies and cheese. It has been the best sweet potato casserole I have tried in my life so far.

• alyssa-silva

November 22, 2023 at 9:53 am

That looks yummy! Have you found HelloFresh to be helpful when it comes to mealtime?