SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Freelancing as a Writer While in School

• Freelancing as a Writer While in School

Posted by brianna-albers on March 8, 2019 at 11:00 am

Hi everyone! Hope you’re having a great Friday. Kevin asked me to talk a bit about freelancing as a writer, which is ironic because I haven’t been doing much writing at all lately. I always have something up my sleeve though!

I actually didn’t plan on freelancing at all. The only reason I got into it was that I attended an online poetry workshop held by Winter Tangerine. I loved the organization so much that I applied for an internship, which led to me getting hired as a poetry reader and, eventually, several positions on the Board of Directors. I didn’t get paid, but the time I spent there was invaluable: I learned a ton about literary magazines and about making it as a professional writer. I eventually went on to found Monstering, a magazine for disabled women and nonbinary people.

Other than BioNews, I’m not associated with any other publications, largely because of school. That being said, I still submit pieces of writing, like poems and personal essays, to magazines. In my opinion, one of the great things about freelancing is that you can take it at your own pace. My goal is to be completely independent as a freelancer, but considering that I’m still in school, it’s nice being able to solidify my name and really just get my name out there on my schedule and terms.

Do y’all have any questions about freelancing or writing in general?

brianna-albers replied 5 years, 1 month ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.