SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Government Shutdown May Delay FDA Approval of Zolgensma

• kevin-schaefer

January 9, 2019 at 11:46 am

Way to go Trump. But seriously, this is a real shame. Hopefully this administration will realize the effects of this circus show and reopen the government soon. It’s ridiculous.

• daria-lavrovska

January 10, 2019 at 9:09 am

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Hi, I can’t read the article – access is denied.</p>
    Could anyone post it here or send it to me per email? Thx!

• deann-r

January 10, 2019 at 9:34 am

I sent you a message with the article attached.  Thanks for letting me know you had difficulty with the link.

• adnan-hafizovic

January 10, 2019 at 10:45 am

My opinion is that Trump  wants to protect US  medical industry, Novartis is a Swiss company. I would like to say I’m wrong.It is all about profite and money.

• kelly-miller

January 10, 2019 at 1:54 pm

I don’t know how they choose which departments get closed in a partial shutdown, but I did notice about the FDA last week. However, I hadn’t thought about this stalemate possibly causing the Zolgensma trials to be canceled. I’m assuming they are on a strict timeframe when it comes to giving the participants whatever is necessary and recording the results on a similar timeframe. I really hope it doesn’t ruin this opportunity. I’ve been looking forward to Zolgensma becoming approved!

• deann-r

January 14, 2019 at 1:16 pm

Update:  As the partial government shutdown continues it was brought to my attention that although the FDA is not functioning at its full capacity, drugs that were submitted before 2019 are still being reviewed and on schedule for approval.  Since Zolgensma was submitted in 2018, it should be on track.  Here’s the link to that article https://www.forbes.com/sites/joshuacohen/2019/01/10/partial-government-shutdowns-impact-on-fda-drug-approvals/#5d36fb732d08

I still might not eat bagged lettuce, but that’s just me.

• kevin-schaefer

January 14, 2019 at 2:40 pm

Thanks for the update DeAnn. Yeah it is good to hear that these drugs are still on track.

• krystal

January 22, 2019 at 8:14 am

The shutdown may delay the enrollment date for AVXS-101 trials that are supposed to open in April. Reaching out to clinical coordinators to see if I can find a definitive answer. Thanks DeAnn for the updates!