SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA How Do You Stay Organized?

• How Do You Stay Organized?

Posted by deann-r on November 4, 2022 at 10:24 am

I try not to let it drive me nuts, but it still gets on my nerves. Having limited reach, I rely on caregivers to put things away. Some do a great job. Others just toss whatever it is willy-nilly close to the vicinity I ask, creating not-so-tidy spaces. I’m tired of being nitpicky so I usually let it slide until someone makes a comment or I have an avalanche. Is there a better way?

You guys have given me great organizational tips in the past. It’s easier knowing what I have and where to put things. Pictures help a lot. Spreadsheets can be helpful too.

Now I need to know, how do you stay organized when you have multiple caregivers putting things away?

alyssa-silva replied 1 year, 5 months ago 4 Members · 10 Replies
  • 10 Replies
  • blake-watson

November 7, 2022 at 2:44 pm

If it’s not on my computer I don’t know where it is. I’ve given up trying to keep up with stuff in the real world.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• deann-r

November 9, 2022 at 4:38 pm

Even my computer is a mess sometimes.

• alyssa-silva

November 8, 2022 at 6:57 pm

I use a program on my laptop called Notion (it’s free!) to organize all my stuff. I create tables and add every item I own, then add tags to them to tell me where it’s located. So the item might be my stapler for example, and the tags might be “office” and “left desk drawer.” That way, when I need to tell a caregiver where to get something, I just use the search bar to type the item I’m looking for, and it tells me. It’s tedious work at first, but so worth it!

• blake-watson

November 8, 2022 at 9:37 pm

My boss is a big Notion fan. I know Brianna is too. I think she has templates available for download (or for sale, I can’t remember). Somehow I haven’t tried it yet. I’ve been using Craft for notes and documents and such. Craft is cool, but Notion does the kind of stuff you mentioned better.

I’m interested in how you get people to put things back where they belong. ????

• deann-r

November 9, 2022 at 4:36 pm

It’s not easy.

• alyssa-silva

November 10, 2022 at 9:43 am

We use Notion at my job too! That’s how I learned about it actually. It’s a great tool.

• deann-r

November 9, 2022 at 4:45 pm

I’ll have to check into Notion.

• anna

November 9, 2022 at 3:35 am

I explain to them in advance my organization system (pictures, spreadsheets etc.) so that they understand that, when I insist on putting things back in place, I’m not just being pedantic, I’m only trying to avoid adding more chaos to my already complicated daily routine! Of course, I only have one PCA, so this usually works even though I have to remind her occasionally. I imagine it’d be more difficult if I had more than one.

• deann-r

November 9, 2022 at 4:59 pm

Most of my pca’s understand why I’m particular, but it’s still tiring directing and justifying. I’ve found pictures very helpful. Do you take pictures of your wardrobe or everything in general?

• anna

November 10, 2022 at 3:14 am

I take pictures of everything. I’ve also added to my spreadsheet a column of possible combinations of clothes that match. Of course, unless everything is put back in place after use, my elaborate system is rendered totally useless! Caregivers will always make mistakes, that’s inevitable. All we can do is direct again and again till they memorize at least the basics.