• I got a haircut

Posted by deann-r on June 2, 2020 at 9:29 am

Usually getting a haircut isn’t noteworthy.  However during a pandemic it is.  Monday salons got the go ahead to open up here in Minnesota.  Although I like long hair it was getting difficult to manage.  Having short hair, Mom was also in need of taming her locks.  Therefore when rumors were floating of salons opening soon I contacted my cousin.  She cuts hair from her home-based salon.  Because she knows I’m in the high risk category she would get us in as soon as allowed.  She managed to get us in as the first clients of the day and took all the necessary precautions.  She also spaced her clients out so we wouldn’t cross paths and she had time to sanitize.  I’d rather risk it now in case numbers jump in a few weeks.

Inevitably activity outside the home brings an increased risk.  However I don’t want to live life in fear.  Therefore when I do decide to do things I’m going to have to weigh the risk vs. reward.  In this case I felt the risk was minimal.  Having a refreshing cut for the first 90 degree day was definitely a worthwhile reward.

What kind of things determine if you decide an activity is worth the risk?  Has it become easier or more difficult to make those decisions?

lisa replied 3 years, 10 months ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • lisa

June 8, 2020 at 9:00 am

Hi, thank you so much DeAnn for putting the words and dilemma that i share too in such articulate words. Especially because i live with my older relative and do not want to take any more risks than i have to. This week it really came to a head because I am a tutor and one of my students’ parents asked me to come and bicycle to their place so that i could teach the young student and I was extremely uncomfortable with that proposition even though i knew that they might look at it a little as paranoia. Instead, i requested a day more of working on real life examples like these of arithmetic and geometric progression and gave a real life Covid-related example and at the end of the class addressed my dilemma quite openly with the student. He understood completely now 🙂 It is one of my proudest moments as a teacher.

• deann-r

June 8, 2020 at 9:55 am

Thank you Lisa.  It certainly is challenging.  I do think it’s important to convey our concerns.  Great job doing just that.

• lisa

June 9, 2020 at 2:49 am

thank you so much for understanding, DeAnn 🙂