SMA News Forums Forums Treatments and Research COVID-19 and SMA Is the Booster shot safe for SMA patients?

• Is the Booster shot safe for SMA patients?

Posted by angela-j on September 19, 2023 at 3:53 pm

Hi everyone,

I’m planning on getting a booster shot soon (I’ve been vaccinated twice already) since I’m going to a concert next week and I want to be protected. I’m nervous about side effects though. Has anyone that received the booster shot had any bad side effects? I didn’t react to the first 2 vaccines, but I’m worried the booster shot might be more dangerous. Please let me know your experiences after getting the booster shot.

mike-huddleston replied 7 months, 1 week ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • alyssa-silva

September 20, 2023 at 10:59 am

Hey Angela. If you have any reservations about getting the booster, my best advice would be to talk to a medical professional who knows you and your SMA. That being said, I have had 2 boosters without any issues and plan on getting a third soon. Each time I have always consulted with a doctor first.

• mike-huddleston

September 21, 2023 at 2:57 pm

Hey Angela –
    I would echo Alyssa’s response about consulting with your doctor if you have any concerns. I would not rely on social media or various news outlets for safety or efficacy. Personally, I received both initial vaccines and two subsequent boosters, all Pfizer, with no issues. I will be getting the new variant booster soon. I haven’t consulted with my doctor for any of these, but understand some may want to and encourage anyone to do so to help determine if the vaccine/booster is right for you.