SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Kevin’s Weekly Journal 9/10/18-9/16/18

• Kevin’s Weekly Journal 9/10/18-9/16/18

Posted by kevin-schaefer on September 17, 2018 at 7:00 am

Much of this past week revolved around preparing for Hurricane Florence, and sort of going with the flow based on the storm’s activity. The news reports last Monday and Tuesday urged everyone in North and South Carolina to be ready to evacuate if necessary, and to gather essentials. While my parents and I weren’t sure what was going to happen, we didn’t want to take any chances in the event that our power would go out for an extended period of time. With all of the equipment I use on a daily basis, power outages make it very difficult for us to function. As such, my Mom booked a nearby hotel for us, and we checked in on Thursday.

As I’ve written about in other posts and columns, I have to have pretty specific accommodations when booking a hotel room. Beyond basic accessibility, I need to have a roll-in-shower and enough space for transfers. Fortunately, the hotel we stayed in was fantastic, and our room was very accessible. The staff was friendly, and my Dad and I even had the chance to meet and talk with the manager on Friday night. He was extremely polite and asked specifically about our experience and the hotel’s accessibility accommodationss. It was refreshing to meet someone who went above and beyond to ensure that we had a pleasant stay without any issues. We stayed until Saturday morning, and checked out around noon. Our area didn’t get hit as bad as others on the coast, but there were still power outages and persistent rains around where we live. It worked out that we spent a couple nights in the hotel.

The stay didn’t really conflict with my work schedule. I already got a lot done in the first part of the week so I could be prepared, and on Friday I was actually up earlier than usual so that I could get a good breakfast at the hotel. Once I had eaten I spent the rest of the morning and afternoon working in my hotel room. On Thursday, I did get a headache in the late afternoon, which was likely caused by the storm. I managed to get rid of it fairly quickly by taking a nap in my chair, taking an Advil and turning off the lights back in the hotel room. That was the only day I experienced any headaches or fatigue fortunately.

I didn’t get out as much as I usually do in light of the storm, but on Sunday I hung out at the comic shop for a few hours. I’ll probably make plans with friends more this week. Right now I’m just glad that Florence didn’t hit my area as much as originally expected; but it still has caused devastation in other parts of North and South Carolina. 15 people have died, and there’s still severe flooding in some areas. It’ll be a tough recovery for many people out there, and my prayers go out to all who have been affected by this storm.

This week I’m back to water therapy, my regular work schedule and whatever else comes up. Hope everyone has a great week. Also, if you’re new to the forums, thanks for joining us, and I hope you will find the discussions and stories on this platform helpful.

kevin-schaefer replied 5 years, 7 months ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.